Friday, October 21, 2011

Casting Call Out ~ Two and a Half Men

Bridget Schmidt
Can someone please explain how Bridget (Mrs. Walden Schmidt) used to be Herb Melnick's sister, Myra? Two and a Half Men has been one of the highest-rated sitcoms for years and with the show in syndication, playing multiple episodes at least five nights a week, did they think nobody would notice? This isn't even the first time they have recycled characters. Chelsea, the late Charlie's fiance, also appeared as another of his ex-girlfriends in the episode where he discovered the "Charlie Harper Sucks" website and visited all of his exes to apologize to each one of them for wronging them. Then, there was Jake's teacher Miss Pasternak, whom Charlie seduced. Her character was originally played by Missy Pyle (who scares me), a blond; but then returned a couple of seasons later as a redhead who looked totally different. Granted, by this point Miss Pasternak had given up teaching and become an exotic dancer (until she found God at the end of that episode). What's next? Will Charlie Sheen come back as Lindsay's brother? 
Myra Melnick
Now, Two and a Half Men has had some pretty cool guest stars. Martin Sheen (Charlie's real dad) played Rose's father, Harvey (Hey! Same name as my father!). Emilio Estevez (Charlie's real brother) played his longtime friend. Denise Richards (Charlie's ex-wife) played his ex-girlfriend. Her baby on the show was their real daughter (thanks for the confirmation, Ash!). What I'm hoping for is a  guest appearance by Molly Ringwald. (a Duckie and Andie reunion!)  

According to TV Guide, Charlie Sheen was making $1.25M (that's SIX figures) PER EPISODE before he went off the deep end and got fired. If I made half of that in my LIFETIME, I would be happy! Jon Cryer (Alan) earns $550K per episode (and I think Duckie is funnier - the episode where he was in a drug trial was hilarious!). Even Angus T. Jones (Jake) earns $250K per episode. Conchata Ferrell (Berta - didn't see that name coming!) didn't even make the list! Are these outrageous salaries why they have to recycle talent? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, I admit, I've watched WAY too many reruns of Two and a Half Men and to be honest, I don't even like the show very much anymore (I lost interest even before Charlie "died"). I loved Ashton Kutcher as Kelso on That 70's Show, but Walden just doesn't do anything for me. I have a hard time watching a show when I know how (insanely) much the actors are making and I feel like they are trying to insult my intelligence. I'd much rather watch Rules of Engagement or The Big Bang Theory - I find them a lot more entertaining. 

Speaking of The Big Bang Theory, I also noticed on TV Guide's list of TV's Top Earners that Johnny Galecki earns more money per episode than Jim Parsons. In what universe does Leonard Hofstader deserve  more than Sheldon Cooper? Bazinga!



No comments:

Post a Comment