Thursday, November 3, 2011

Smoosh Time

Hey Jersey Shore fans - get your minds outta the gutter! It's that time of the year again (actually four months overdue)...the dreaded annual mammogram. If you've ever had one, you now "get" the "smoosh" reference. If you haven't had one (and you're female, over 35 or have a family history of breast cancer), you should. I'm not gonna lie...having your boob squeezed in what amounts to a plexiglass vice grip hurts...a lot. But early detection is so important. I personally know several women - many of them young - who have been diagnosed, bravely battled, and (thank God) survived breast cancer. They were smart enough to keep up with their annual exams and listen to their doctors (and their bodies).

I've been fortunate in that most of the time, my results have been normal. I admit that I do not do the regular self-exams that the doctor recommends. I know I should...I just never think about it. I did have a minor "scare" a couple of years ago where my mammogram showed an "area of suspicion." This led to a follow-up mammogram (the area of suspicion did not mysteriously disappear in two weeks' time), an ultrasound (which was inconclusive), and a needle biopsy (at which time a tiny metal pin was injected into my breast to mark the area for future imaging - I wonder if TSA saw it during my body scan last month at FLL). I was lucky - the "area of suspicion" turned out to be completely benign. Now I have to have a mammogram every year just to make sure that nothing has changed.

The prescription for this year's mammogram has been tucked away in my wallet since July. I've had a Post-it note on my desk calendar to remind me since then. At the end of July, August, and September, I moved that Post-it note to the next month, vowing that "I'd get around to it..." Once October (National Breast Cancer Month) came and went, I felt guilty enough to stop putting it off and made an appointment. Hoping that all goes well and I can be smoosh-free for another year. :)


With love, aloha, and a great deal of admiration for all the amazing women who have battled breast cancer and WON! :)

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great, that you post this story about breast cancer at your blog. It's really important to know that this desease is curable if it recognize early... I hope my english is good enough, that anybody know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diana! Your English is just fine. :) It is so important to get checked regularly!

    ReplyDelete