Thursday, March 29, 2012

Love at First (2nd, 3rd...) Sight?

"I'm 100% positive she's my soul mate."
~Kip Dynamite (speaking about LaFawnduh)

Since everyone now knows about my past life revelations, I figured I'd follow up with a post about the concept of "soul mates." In my previous post, I mentioned that in my quest to understand the concept of reincarnation and past lives, I learned about soul mates as well. This is one aspect of reincarnation that makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Years before I learned of my possible past life as Sharon Baganowski, I met (and recognized?) my soul mate. When people ask me, "How did you and Rob meet?," I tend to cringe a bit, because it's not exactly the tale that dreams are made of. The story sounds a lot worse than the reality of it, though. I was dating one of Rob's friends from college who had moved down to Florida to start a new job. My boyfriend was living in the apartment above my sister's mother-in-law's house (which was down the street from my parent's house where I lived). He had gotten the apartment through Rob, who also happened to be close friends with my brother-in-law's brother (whose mother owned the house down the street from me). Confused yet? 


(I was crazy about my boyfriend at the time, by the way, so it wasn't as if I was looking for another man.) Rob ended up joining us for a movie one night. He was "the third wheel." ;) I thought that Rob  was a nice guy, but there were no "sparks." (Remember, I wasn't looking!) My boyfriend had to borrow $2 from Rob that night. He was headed out of town the next day, so he asked me if I would go by Rob's store (KMC had just opened that year) and pay him back for him. I said, "Sure."

So, off I went to KMC with the $2. Rob and I got to talking and I felt so incredibly comfortable with him (normally, I was sooooo shy around guys - this was only my third boyfriend, and I had never dated anyone longer than two months). I felt like I had  known him for years. We ended up talking for a long time after the store was supposed to close at 3. I felt so bad that I had kept him there, but he didn't seem to mind. The one thing that struck me was that as I walked out of KMC that day, something inside of me said, "That is the man I'm going to marry." Now, that was TOTALLY random. Even I was struck by that thought. I was still crazy about my boyfriend, but I was definitely attracted to Rob in a very different way.

As time went on, my boyfriend and I realized that it just wasn't going to work out. He was extremely independent and I wanted a boyfriend who wanted to spend time with me. We decided to end it. A few weeks later, Rob and I went out for the first time. [Since my ex lived down the street from me,  Rob did stop by and talk to him before picking me up that evening.] The rest, they say, is history.  Rob and I have been inseparable ever since. I remember hearing INXS' "Mystify" for the first (and only) time that on the radio that night, and the lyric "...and we're leaving broken hearts behind..." has always stuck with me. 

I had heard the term "soul mate," but never really given it much thought. As I read more about "soul mates," in the context of reincarnation, it all made sense to me. Only Love is Real - The Story of Soul Mates Reincarnated, by Dr. Brian Weiss, is my favorite book of all time. If you've never read it (whether you believe in reincarnation or not), I highly recommend it! Soul mates are basically souls that reappear together over lifetimes. Not necessarily every lifetime, and not always in the same relationship - they could alternately be spouses, siblings, friends, parents, or even enemies. Learning about this, to me, explained how I felt so incredibly comfortable with Rob, so soon after we had first met. Just as Kip felt about LaFawnduh, I'm 100% positive Rob is my soul mate. ;) I had never considered the fact that a person may have more than one soul mate, and that soul mate doesn't necessarily equal spouse, significant other, etc.; but can mean any kind of relationship. 

So, we can have friends who may be our soul mates. I believe that my friend, Isabel is one of my soul mates. We've been best friends since 7th Grade, when we fought over John Taylor in the PBMS cafeteria (she eventually decided that she preferred Roger). We were best friends throughout high school, then kind of went our separate ways after we graduated (even though we both continued to live at home in Pompano and commute to our colleges). We now live fairly close to one another, but rarely see each other. We do keep in touch on Facebook, though. In spite of the fact that we live separate lives,  when we are able to get together in person, it's like no time has passed.

I have met other people over the years who I have had basically NOTHING in common with, but with whom have formed very strong friendships. I feel very comfortable with them, in spite of the fact that we have different interests or come from different backgrounds. I think that they too could be my soul mates, because I don't feel that way with everyone I meet. I have known people (some very close to me) who have, quite honestly, scared the hell out of me. I consider myself a pretty easy-going, tolerant person. I try to be nice to and get along with everyone, but there are some people that I just do not (nor do I believe will ever) feel completely comfortable with. I believe that these people, too, could be soul mates. Maybe one of them was my (Sharon's) mother in my previous life. (?)

It's been said that soul mates appear in our lives to teach us life lessons. After all, if reincarnation exists (or even if it doesn't), life is all about spiritual growth. I firmly believe that God puts people in our lives for a reason. I am thankful for all of my "soul mates" and the lessons (both positive and painful) that I have learned from them. Most of all, I am so thankful that I met and have been able to share my life with my #1 soul mate, Rob. :) 

With Love and Aloha ~ Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment