Tuesday, March 13, 2012

You Might Be in the Country II

Miss Georgia Sweet Onion
eating an onion blossom
I recently took another trip to Manassas, GA to visit my sister and her family. Visiting the country is always fun, and I always make some new observations. This visit was no different. Here's what I learned this go-round:

If you have absolutely no cell phone service in the area where you most need cell phone service...You might be in the country. 


If streets are named for random people who have lived there (Ben Lynn Road, Linda's Lane), their appearance (Reddish Road), what grows there (Rye Patch Road), or what you might find there (Old Still Road)...You might be in the country

If you know a place where you can buy ammo by the pallet...You might be in the country


If the major annual event in your town is called the Rattlesnake Roundup...You might be in the country


If the parade for your town's major event includes (actual) stuffed animals (as in, those stuffed by a taxidermist)...You might be in the country

If more than ten pageants are held to form a Rattlesnake Roundup court...You might be in the country.


Former Rattlesnake RoundUp Queens
If the parade for your town's major even includes a lifted lawnmower...You might be in the country

If former pageant queens are readily available to appear in the parade for your town's major event...You might be in the country
If your volunteer fire department is larger and more dependable than an urban paid fire department...You might be in the country.


If camo and cowboy boots are everyday children's wear...You might be in the country. 


If you attend a major event in your town with your wife and child while wearing a shirt that reads "Let's play carpenter - You get hammered and I'll nail you"...You might be in the country. (True story...so sorry I didn't get a photo!)



If you know 1,001 recipes including pecans [BTW, those pecan waffles were to DIE for, Mimi]...You might be in the country

If you know 1,001 recipes for venison...You might be in the country


If your best wine glasses have a screw-on lid...You might be in the country

If your town proudly announces it's most famous residents on a sign at the city limits...You might be in the country. (As a little aside to this one...my niece and her family used to live in Rincon (pronounced to rhyme with "stinkin" or "lincoln," not like the surf spot in Puerto Rico, pronounced "Rrrrrrrreen-cone"), Georgia, where the the sign proudly boasted that it was the home of country music star, Billy Currington. I couldn't listen to Good Directions without thinking of Rincon.) 


If both county bus drivers live within a quarter mile down the highway from one another...You might be in the country 


If your church includes "Primitive," "Missionary," or "Free Will" as part of it's name...You might be in the country.


If you can shoot a gun from your front porch (or ANY spot on your property) and not have anyone call the police (or even think it was odd)...You might be in the country.


As you may imagine, hunting is a way of life in the country. My brother-in-law and nephew (and their kin-folk are all hunters). Each time I visit Manassas, I ask one of them to give me a shooting lesson. It's always entertaining. Even if I was after Bambi, the deer, turkeys and ducks need not fear me, as you will see below. 


Georgia Shooting Lesson #1
My nephew, Matt, tries to teach me  how to fire a 20-gauge shotgun (on his wedding day).
March 2009 (?)

Missed and nearly threw out my shoulder.

Georgia Shooting Lesson #2: The Sequel 
My nephew Matt and my brother-in-law Pat let me give the 20-gauge shotgun another try.
May 2010

Missed AGAIN and nearly threw out my shoulder AGAIN.

Georgia Shooting Lesson #3: A New Firearm 
My brother-in-law Pat teaches me how to shoot a .357 Magnum.
March 2012


I missed on this shot BUT...hit my target on shot number 2! Woo-hoo! The SOLO cup didn't know what hit it. I was feeling like such a Bad Ass, I almost stopped in Daytona for Bike Week on the way home...OK, I never made it pass the Hess station at I95! ;)

At the end of the day, a trip to the country is always an awesome experience!
Thanks for the Southern Hospitality y'all!

With Love and Aloha ~ Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment