Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dos Equis - XX Years of Marriage

Cue the strings...


In the early 80s, he was the Western Hemisphere Boardsailing Champion. This was before I knew him, though I seem to recall sitting in my neighbor's house when I was about 11 years old hearing something about a windsurfer from Lighthouse Point on ABC's Wide World of Sports. Yup, that was Rob...

He only vacations near the oceanDon't even think about land-locking him.


He borrowed his sail number from the Devil himself. Put away your crucifixes...he needed a three-digit number that he could remember. OK, honestly, it scared the Hell out of me (pun intended) when I first found out his sail number was 666. I asked why on Earth he would pick that number. He told me that 111, 222, 333, 444, 555, 777, 888, and 999 were all taken, but 666 was available. (SHOCKER!) So, he took it.


He bravely wrangles wild animals out of his home. He once tried to lasso a baby opossum that had snuck into our house. I almost wet my pants watching the scene play out, I was laughing so hard.


Fashion sense and pride run screaming if fun is to be had. He has always dressed up for Halloween - even before we had kids...probably always will.



He is very handy around the houseHe has installed laminate flooring in both of our houses; installed high-hat lighting in my kitchen and living room (still have an extra hole in the ceiling whose patch job remains to be finished); built me a window seat for our bedroom; and built an awesome custom TV cabinet for our bedroom. He can also level pavers, replace car brake pads, and fix boat lifts (in his red wetsuit, no less - just ask our neighbors!) like it's nobody's business.


He bravely attempted to teach the "Chicken of the Sea" how to surfSadly, he was unsuccessful, I still can't surf, but he is a very patient man. 



He built a half-pipe (in our garage!) for his skateboarding son. Yes, he is a very cool dad. I can no longer park my car in the garage, but since that is "his domain" anyway, who am I to complain? He's also built a fun box, a grind rail and numerous ramps in our driveway. I'm sure our neighbors are thrilled to have a skate park in our 'hood. 

He wears his bright red USA long-john wetsuit with pride if the water is chilly. Even though it may be a couple of sizes too small and he refers to it as his "sausage suit."

He is a fabulous colorist. After years of spending a fortune having my hair highlighted professionally, I decided to let Rob (whose hair I have cut myself for years) have a go at it. I bought the products at Sally's and demonstrated  to Rob how Onell foiled my hair, then let him have at it. I now have an in-house colorist who is available as soon as dark roots and grays make their appearance. Even our almost-16-year-old trusts him to color her hair - that speaks volumes!



He has a soft spot in his heart for 150-lb lap dogs. And Golden Retrievers too!


He has put up with my goofy self for dos equis. That's XX, or 20  in Roman Numerals. Yep, TWO DECADES, and then some!

He is...the most interesting man in [my] world.

Cue the Latin guitar music...

May 23, 2012
XX Years of Marriage
On May 23, 2012, Rob and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. I have, in fact, been in a relationship with Rob for more than half of my life. We started dating when I was just a few weeks shy of 19 and he was 26 and we've been together ever since. People often comment that we are "perfect for each other." I have to agree. That does not, by any means, mean that we have always had a perfect life. We've had our share of struggles, but we've always been there for each other. I am eternally grateful for the life we have shared. We do not always agree with each other, but we can always work things out. He makes me smile. He makes me laugh. He is there with open ears when I need to vent and open arms when I need a hug. He is not only the most interesting man in my world, Rob is my world and I am so thankful for him. <3

Live Aloha my friends...

With Love and Aloha~Nancy



No comments:

Post a Comment