Sunday, November 11, 2012

"Lucky" 13

The number 13 has a great deal of significance in my life. Those of you who know me personally (and even some of you who just know me from my blog), know that I was born on Friday the 13th. Although I can't honestly say that I haven't had some "unlucky" things happen to me throughout my life, I can't honestly say that I've had any more than anyone else either. Black cats do tend to cross my path at an alarming rate though. I just shake my head and say, "Really?!" ;)

Recently, I had a twitch in my right eye. Just out of curiosity, I thought I'd Google whether there are any old wives' tales about this happening. Turns out, there is one. According to an old wives' tale, if your right eye twitches, there will be a birth in your family. :o At this point, I hope not! I'm hoping that a "new addition" counts. ;) Anyway, as I scrolled down the page where I found this entertaining information, I noticed that there are (not surprisingly) a number of myths connected to the number 13. In really thinking about it, I realized just how significant that number is in my life. 

Here are 13 facts demonstrating how the number 13 has significance in my life:


1. I was born on Friday, November 13, 1970.
2. The sum of the digits in my birthdate - 11/13/70, 1+1+1+3+7+0 = 13.
3. The sum of the number of letters in my given name: Nancy Lee Villa - count 'em = 13.
4. The sum of the number of letters in my (first and last) married name - Nancy Kniskern = 13.
5. The sum of the digits of my house number where I currently reside, 2+8+2+1 = 13. 
6. The age I turned the year I fell in love with Duran Duran - 13.
7. The age I blurted out ("You're like my 13th Birthday present!!") when I finally met Duran Duran 28 years later, prompting Simon LeBon to exclaim, "You're 13 today?! Happy Birthday!" and giving the entire band a laugh at my expense - 13.
8. I met Duran Duran during their tour supporting their 13th studio album, All You Need is Now.  
9. The football jersey number of my first high school crush was 13.
10. The number of contracts (and two-and-a-half years) it took to sell our old house after purchasing 2+8+2+1 = 13. True story. 
11. Number of days after Halloween that my birthday falls - 13. Creepy, huh? 
12. I have personally known two other people who were born on Friday, November 13. One was a former coworker of mine who was several years older than me, and one is the daughter of one of my current coworkers, who is 22 years younger than me.
13. The sum of the digits of the date on which a little bit of my Aloha spirit died - 1+1+0+6+2+0+1+2 = 13

So, there you have it! :) Yes, there have been times that I have felt "unlucky." For the most part, though, I feel extremely blessed. I have an amazing family that I love more than anything in the world, a wonderful husband and children, friends who bring smiles and laughter into my life, and I am healthy. I believe that I am pretty lucky after all and 13 will always be my special number. :)

With Love and Aloha ~ Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Seems you can't go wrong with the number 13......Not only are you lucky 13 but you are LUCKY for all who know you!!!!!..:)

    ReplyDelete