Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My SK8R Boy Turns 14!

Chase at 4
On January 29, 2013, my "baby" turns 14. How can it be that another year of Sundays has drifted right by? It certainly doesn't feel like it's been 52 weeks since I last blogged about him (and he became a teenager!), but it has. Time really does fly as you get older.

If I had let nature take it's course, Chase's birthday wouldn't be for another couple of weeks. He wasn't due until February 12. I chose to have labor induced early for fear of not making it to the hospital in time. My first baby came really quickly and I didn't want to risk giving birth in public. Had I known that waiting may have allowed my baby time to flip back into proper position and avoided an emergency C-section, I might have waited another week or so. How about that, my little skater dude was trying out tricks even before he was born! On Friday, January 29, 1999 at 3:07 p.m., Chase entered our lives.

A true "Friday's Child," Chase is loving and giving. Sure, he has his "teenage moments". If he can't land a trick, he has a tendency to channel his inner Happy Gilmore and hurl his board across the yard. But these moments are rare. He is actually one of most considerate teenage boys I've ever known. The first thing he does when I pick him up from school is asks me how my day at work was. How many teenage sons would do that? He's happy to whip up a killer quesadilla for his sister when asked. How many little brothers would do that? If I'm upset, he is the first person to try and make me smile. That means the world to me. He still cracks me up regularly with his "Chasisms," like "Isn't the mascot for Notre Dame the fighting midgets?" ;)

Chase has gotten really serious about skateboarding in the past year. He spends most of his free time in our driveway or our garage practicing tricks like heel flips, kickflips, tre flips, pop-shove-its, half-cabs, frontside fakies, and all kinds of moves that I have no clue exactly what they are (or even if I am saying them right). Some of these moves he's learned by spending Saturdays at Ramp 48 indoor skatepark, but he has learned many others by watching YouTube videos. He is very determined and will spend hours practicing until he gets the trick down. When Chase finally lands a trick he's been practicing, he is always so excited to show me. Being as uncoordinated and non-athletic as I am, it all looks very impressive to me. He'll show me and I'll exclaim, "That was awesome!" and he'll tell me that he didn't land it. Oh... But, I have definitely watched him grow and improve in his skateboarding skills over the past few months. I especially love that he is so driven. 

Chase's 8th Grade Picture
I didn't know my husband back in his windsurfing days, but I strongly suspect this is where Chase gets his drive from. I do not have (and never have had) a competitive bone in my body. Like his dad, he's never shown any interest in team sports, but he loves the challenge of learning new techniques and improving with each passing day. Skateboarding is perfect for him.

For weeks now, Chase has wanted to kickflip the 5-stair at Ramp 48. He's landed plenty of kickflips at home, but never on a ramp that big or that steep. He's got enough of his mama in him that self-doubt sometimes has a stronghold on him (and this breaks my heart). Heck, as a child (and probably even now), I was never brave enough to just let go and slide down a fireman's pole on the playground, much less hop on a skateboard and go sailing down a huge ramp! But this past Saturday, just days before his 14th birthday, Chase threw caution to the wind and went for it...and NAILED it. :) 


The best part of the experience is that he proved to himself that he could do it. I am hoping that this experience has taught him that when you work hard for something that you desire, don't be afraid to go for it! I could learn a lot from him. :)


o<:) Happy Birthday Chase! (:>o

With Love and Aloha ~ Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment