Tuesday, March 26, 2013

March Madness

Feelin' crabby
They say that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb...[I do believe that is also the first line of Judy Blume's "Then Again...Maybe I Won't" - the second is "That's a lot of bull." ;)]. March 2013 has certainly felt like a lion (or, at least, I have felt like roaring angrily most of this month). I've been tired, grumpy and on edge for the past few weeks. I'm not sure just what is going on, but it hasn't been fun (for me or anyone else around me!)

A good night's sleep eluded me for most of March. Let's face it, a good night's sleep is paramount to a good mood. At least for me it is. I've never been the type of person who could sleep until noon (I think 9 might be the latest I've EVER slept), but I need at least a good 7-8 hours of sleep every night. This just didn't seem to happen much in March.

For one thing, my night sweats were out of control this month. I'm talking waking up DRIPPING in sweat, which certainly affected my sleep cycle, which in turn affected my mood, and so on and so on. It didn't help that Cali picked this month to start taking flying leaps onto my bed randomly in the middle of the night. It seemed like everybody was getting on my nerves (again, could be lack of sleep, hormones/PMS, or a combination thereof). I've just been channeling the little girl in the AT&T commercial - growling like a werewolf who wishes he could go back to a human. I spent most of March longing to feel human again!

A blessed end to PMS certainly helped, but there was more up the lion's sleeve for me. My son, Chase was scheduled to go on the Florida Tour - a three-day field trip that included stops at Bethune Cookman College, University of Central Florida, University of Florida, and Islands of Adventure. The Florida Tour is pretty much the Grand Poohbah of middle school field trips and he was really looking forward to it. Two nights before trip, Chase came to me and said that he wasn't feeling great. I felt his head and he wasn't warm, so I assumed he was just exhausted from skating all weekend. Besides, my family (thank goodness) is rarely sick. Well, turns out (with impeccable timing), Chase had caught a bug. Around 2 a.m., a very upset, very feverish Chase arrived at my bedside. I kept him home from school the next day and prayed that it was just a 24-hour bug (as did many of my Facebook friends - thank you for that, by the way), and he'd be good to go by 5:30 the next morning.
Did I mention I lost quite a few shoes this month too?

My alarm went off at 4:30 a.m. Chase came in my room and told me he was feeling much better. Normally, this would have thrilled me, but his glassy eyes told a very different story. So did the thermometer, which climbed to 102.2. I had the unpleasant task of telling Chase he wasn't going on the Florida Tour. He did not take it well. So, instead of Daytona, a very upset (and feverish) Chase went to the doctor that morning. 

Turns out that along with the fever, he also had a red throat and swollen glands. Leave it to Dr. Cheatham, though, to brighten our spirits. He looked at Chase and said, "Come on buddy, you couldn't go on a trip like this - you're sick! I know it stinks, but look at your life. You have a mom that got bitten by an octopus. Who DOES that?" By the time we left the doctor with a prescription for a Z-pack, we were both cracking up. Chase spent the day resting and I told him that if the fever stayed away, he could go on the trip.

The next morning, I set my alarm for 4 a.m. (Did I mention that I didn't get much sleep this month?) I went to wake Chase and hesitantly touched his forehead, which, for the first time in a couple of days, did not feel like a baked potato! I woke him up and asked if he felt well enough to join the tour. He said, "Yes!" We were on the road by 5 and at the Holiday Inn Express by 8:15, in plenty of time for Chase to join the group to head to Gainesville. :)
Alana at Disney

It seemed silly to drive the six hours to and from Orlando just to drop Chase off at a hotel, so I figured I'd (finally) make good on my promise to take Alana to see the new Fantasyland and ride the new Little Mermaid ride at Magic Kingdom (which was her 16th birthday wish). It turned out to be an awesome day, filled with much-needed quality time with my girl. 


So everything worked out. All seemed well. Things were calming down. My stress level was declining. The lion that was March seemed to be growing tame. And then, he started growling again. The day after Chase got back from his trip, he came to me looking upset. I asked him what was wrong and he replied, "I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. I didn't get into Pompano High." My heart sunk. :( The whole PBHS saga warrants it's on blog post, so I won't go into detail here, but I was force to leave the school after my freshman year, Alana didn't get in, and now it seemed Chase wouldn't get in either. I asked to see the letter and he told me he didn't get one. His friends were posting that they got their letters in the mail and he didn't get one. I explained to him that he would get a letter either way. (Truth be told - the fact that he didn't get one when his friends did was NOT a good sign though - this wasn't my first PBHS-Lottery rodeo). It's now three days later and nary a letter in sight. 

An acceptance letter to PBHS would certainly be a welcome relief. Regardless of what happens, though, I know there is a reason for it...a lesson to be learned. I also know that March WILL go out like a lamb, because the last day of this month we celebrate "The" Lamb - the one who sacrificed everything for our eternal salvation. That really makes the rest of the "March madness" seem insignificant. I may get stressed and anxious and grumpy sometimes. There are a lot of things in life that I don't understand. But, when it comes right down to it, at the end of the day (and the end of the month...), above all else, I am thankful for the many blessings in my life. Bring on April...

With Love and Aloha ~ Nancy


No comments:

Post a Comment