Saturday, April 13, 2013

Inspired (Inspired by Pat Monahan)

This morning, as I checked out Facebook (as I always do first thing in the a.m.), something on the Ticker caught my eye. Seems that Pat Monahan (the lead singer of Train, a band whose latest CD "California 37" I am currently obsessed with) has a blog. His latest blog post was called "Inspired" and it was all about the things that inspire him (and the things that "bore the shit outta [him]"). If you care to read it, go to patblogahan.com. I have to say I agree with a lot of what he said. His blog post inspired me to blog about what inspires me. So, here goes...

THINGS THAT INSPIRE ME
  • The Sunrise - Nothing makes me feel closer to God than watching the sky change colors as the sun comes up every morning. He paints a different masterpiece every day of my life. With nothing but the beauty of dawn and the sound of the breeze (and sometimes ocean waves if it's blowing hard enough out of the east), sunrise is my time to reflect. 
  • Perpetually Positive People - Who doesn't love someone who is (genuinely) positive and upbeat? I specify genuinely because I know quite a few people who appear to be positive and you know darn well as soon as you walk away, they are bad-mouthing you. Those people don't inspire me. The honest-to-goodness, always-looking-on-the-bright-side people do. I recently learned of the passing of a former co-worker of mine who was the number one most perpetually positive person I've ever known. This woman ALWAYS had a kind word and a smile on her face - even as she battled breast cancer and was going through chemotherapy. I never saw her down - tired, maybe - but always smiling. I know that she is an angel now. ^i^ She was a true inspiration, as are the other people like her that I've met in my life. 
  • The Beach - Shelling is my ultimate therapy. For me, this is the most relaxing activity on earth. Walking along the shoreline (or snorkeling in the ocean just beyond the shore), catching a glimpse of that perfect shell and catching it right before the waves wash it away. Heaven on Earth. I also love to just watch the waves. Each one rises and breaks a little differently, kind of like the sunrise. There is no place I'd rather be than the beach. Maybe I should try going to the beach at sunrise. Talk about inspiration.
  • My Family - Each member of my family is an inspiration. My husband inspires me to not sell myself short (he's always telling me that) and to try and not let things get to me (which is so much easier said than done). He has mastered the ability to "let things go." He rarely lets anything bother him. That is inspiring. My daughter has the most amazing self-confidence I've ever seen in anybody. Mind you, there is a BIG difference between arrogance (which is one of those things that irritates the (%&@ out of me) and confidence. She's got confidence. She believes in herself, works hard, and is never afraid to chase her dreams. I'm so thankful for that. That is inspiring. My son inspires me with his passion for skateboarding. He is so determined to learn and master tricks - he practices all the time (and loves it). He is also a genuinely considerate kid (rare for a 14-year-old boy), and has a great sense of humor to boot. That is inspiring. Even my dogs inspire me by showing me unconditional love. No matter what kind of day I am having (or anyone else in my family for that matter), we can always count on two smiling faces and wagging tails when we come home. They are always happy to see us. That is inspiring.
  • Random Acts of Kindness - I just love seeing people do things for others out of the goodness of their hearts. Without being asked. Sometimes secretly. Without expecting anything in return. Just because it's a nice thing to do.
  • Photography - I have written about my love for photography before. There is something about capturing the beauty of a sunrise, a breaking wave, or just a moment in time that is amazing to me. I truly believe that you can never take too many pictures. I'm sure that some people would disagree with me.
  • ANYTHING that Makes Me Smile - From friends and family who can ALWAYS make me smile and laugh, in spite of my mood, to movies, TV shows and music - anything that brings me pure joy inspires me. I have friends who I can go long periods of time without seeing or speaking to, but one phone call, one email, one Facebook comment can leave me grinning from ear to ear and laughing. They are the BEST! I find certain TV shows hysterical. Mike & Molly is one that always makes me crack up. Sometimes, I even snort when I'm watching it. When it comes to music, naturally Duran Duran always brings back happy memories and makes me smile. Train's (sometimes silly) lyrics are what has really drawn me to listen the band. They always make me smile when I'm singing along, off-key, in the car. Some of my favorites:
    • "She was caught in a mudslide, eaten by a lion, got run over by a crappy purple Scion." ~ 50 Ways to Say Goodbye
    • "Just a shy guy lookin' for a 2-ply Hefty bag to hold my i-i-i-i-i love." ~ Drive By
    • "Not Etta James, Bob Marley or the dude that had Pop Rocks and soda at the same time." ~ You Can Finally Meet My Mom
    • "Can't swim so I took a boat to an island so remote, only Johnny Depp has ever been to it before." ~ Mermaid

OK, the last one (ANYTHING that makes me smile) really just encompasses everything else now, doesn't it? ;) My life is truly full of inspiration. I won't get into the things that bore (or bug) the s**t out of me, because if you read my blog, you already know what those things are anyway. We'll keep this one totally positive. I'm actually glad that Pat Monaghan ended his post with, "What inspires you?" I ask you to ponder this yourself. It really will make you realize how blessed you truly are.


With Love and Aloha ~ Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment